Rust is a sneaky and silent killer that slowly but surely eats away at steel and iron parts. Cars, trucks, and ships can all be brought down by a little oxygen and moisture action. Without proper care and protection, strong ferrous metals can turn to dust — reddish, crumbly, rusty dust — so it is essential to know the best rust remover sprays in the market today.
Some of the best rust remover sprays in the market include VHT Rust Converter, Rust-Oleum, Liqui-Moly MoS2-Rust Solvent, and Bull Frog rust remover. These are among the most efficient rust removers that are also fast-acting and easy to use, even for non-specialists.
In this article, we’ll begin by pointing out what you should consider before buying a rust remover spray. We’ll also address what makes the sprays mentioned above some of the best in the market and list a few more options that work well to remove rust. Let’s begin!
What to Look for When Buying Rust Remover Sprays (Buying Guide)
Before listing the best rust remover sprays, we need to determine what qualities to look for in the top brands and products. When you’re looking to buy a rust remover spray, there are certain factors to consider.
For instance, you don’t want a product that will remove rust in the short term and wear out the affected area within a short time. You don’t want chemicals that may cause fires, breathing difficulties, and other hazards in your home or workplace. Some of the worst rust remover sprays contain harmful chemicals such as hydrochloric acid and phosphoric acid.
The products featured in this guide are the best because they are:
- Friendly to the environment
- Have a high-efficiency level in removing rust
- Deliver ease of use for even a non-specialist
- No or low odor
- Compliance with government and environmental safety regulations
- Fast action compounds
- Weather-resistant action
- Discourages formation of future rust
- Does not damage non-metallic surfaces
Now that we know the qualities we should be looking for, let’s move on to our top list of the best rust remover sprays on the market.
Best Rust Remover Sprays in 2021
Whether it’s a result of rain, water leaks, or neglect, any of your metallic items can develop rust. Salvaging an item that has started rusting can be challenging, especially if the rust has set over a long period, but having one of the best rust remover sprays will make your work significantly easier. Take your pick from the following:
1. VHT Rust Converter Aerosol
Our top rust remover spray is the VHT rust converter aerosol spray made by VHT Paint. The VHT rust converter works superbly for not only removing rust but also protecting your clean metal goods from rust appearing in the first place. The spray destroys rust on contact. The product sprays clear but immediately turns to a black coating, protecting the metal against future rust.
This is an easy-to-use product. Just spray and let it rest. After a few minutes, wipe the metallic surface with a napkin or piece of cloth, and the rust is gone. You don’t have to do any sanding or scrubbing. The product bonds deep and firm with rust, making wiping easy without being messy.
Unless you’re taking pristine care of your metal equipment, the metal will likely develop rust over time. Yet, unless you’re working in some sort of lab or high-end manufacturing plant, protecting your metallic goods can be a difficult and time-consuming engagement.
For most domestic use, all you need is an easy-to-use protector. Something you can just use as you go, without having to follow up routinely or use complicated gadgets to apply.
VHT rust converter is simple enough and safe for use by anyone from teenagers to old seniors. However, always take extra precautions to keep all your sprays away from young kids. The product is non-toxic, biodegradable, and non-corrosive.
VHT rust converter can be used on car parts, BBQ grills, gardening tools, garage tools, hinges and moving parts, cast iron, firearms, and camping gear.
2. Rust-Oleum Stops Rust
Rust-Oleum® is a leading US manufacturer of protective coatings. Most of their products are safe for both domestic and industrial use. In particular, their Stops Rust® product is one of the best non-corrosive sprays for removing rust on garden furniture, patios, and all outdoor metals.
You can spray Stops Rust® over rusting metal. Before using the spray, take some time to prepare the paint surface sufficiently. Preparation ensures that your paint will last longer and protect your metal fully. To use Rust-Oleum’s Stops Rust, follow these steps:
- Using a wire brush, remove loose dirt and rust from the surface you want to paint over. The goal is to make the surface as smooth as possible.
- Clean the surface. You can use soap and water or a household cleaner. Dirt, grease, and oil can affect paint adhesion, so you want the surface to be as free of debris as possible.
- Rinse your surface and wait for it to dry completely.
- Ensure you spray in a well-ventilated area. Cover anything else adequately to protect against the spray mist.
- Wear protective gear. Googles, a dust mask, and gloves can protect your eyes, skin, and other sensitive areas of your body.
- Read all directions on your spray can before use.
- Vigorously shake the spray can for a couple of minutes to mix the contents. It may take more than a few shakes before you hear the mixing marble rattle since some of the product’s components inside the spray can are heavier than others.
- Hold the can upright and level with the spray surface. Spray in a steady back and forth motion, with each stroke slightly overlapping the previous one.
- You can combine Stops Rust with Rust-Oleum’s Rusty Metal Primer for a more refined finish and a longer-lasting effect.
3. WD-40 Specialist Penetrant
WD-40 products are world-renowned as some of the best fast-acting penetrants. WD-40 is especially useful if the rust is extensive and has accumulated over time to lock metal parts from moving.
If you have nuts, bolts, and screws that can no longer move due to rust, then WD-40 Specialist ® Penetrant could come to your rescue. The product takes just a few moments to penetrate through metal seams, screw threads, and other crevices to break the rust bonds that stick metal parts together.
In many cases, rust and cold and hot weather cycles can weaken moving metal parts and fasteners such as nuts and bolts. Without a good rust remover spray, you may be forced to break or forcefully pry open parts that are stuck together. To effectively use the WD-40 Specialist ® Penetrant to remove rust, follow these steps:
- Try and move the rusting parts around on their natural axis.
- As you move the parts, spray the penetrant around the hinges and screws.
- WD-40’s blue torch technology enables the product to seep into minute capillaries, penetrating rusty threads quickly and deeply.
- Wait a few moments, then respray a second time, moving the parts around.
- Remove any fasteners and if they get stuck at any point, keep spraying again.
- In a short time, the fasteners will come free. Spray the area for good measure and to protect against future rusting.
- Refasten your screws, nuts, and bolts.
According to the product’s Safety Data Sheet (SDS), WD-40 Specialist ® Penetrant is a Volatile Organic Compound (VOC) compliant. The penetrant is safe to use on plastic, rubber, fiberglass, glass, and metal.
Related post: Does WD-40 Remove and Prevent Rust?
4. Bull Frog Rust Remover Liquid Spray
Bull Frog Rust Remover is a product of Cortec Corporation. Bull Frog’s products are easy to apply and based on safety technologies.
The Bull Frog Rust Remover is effective, non-flammable, and environmentally-friendly. Because it’s a gel-like substance, it adheres well to inclined and vertical structures. The honey-like consistency also makes it possible to apply the product on ridged or rugged surfaces.
The Bull Frog Rust Remover is made from Cortec’s patented technology known as Vapor Corrosion Inhibitor (VCI). This means the product is neither solvent-based nor oil-based. Bull Frog Rust Remover is water-based, organic, biodegradable, and non-toxic.
The product works great on steel, fiberglass, iron, and other metallic and non-metallic surfaces without causing corrosion. The product can be used on:
- Cars, boats, RVs, and trucks
- Machinery and most types of equipment
- Fences and railings
To get rid of rust, follow these steps:
- Scrub the rusting surface with a wire brush to clean the area of any excess rust.
- Spray the product.
- Wait for between 15 minutes to a couple of hours, depending on the extent of the rust.
- Once the rust has cleared, wash the spot with water. The rust remover is easily washable and disappears from the work area completely.
5. Rust Bullet Metal Blast
Rust Bullet Metal Blast is a household cleaner and metal conditioner. The product works to remove grease, rust, and other compounds to increase the metal surface’s adhesive qualities. It’s a popular product with outdoor painters as it properly primes metal surfaces in readiness for painting.
Metal Blast is available in a small hand-held 2-oz (710-ml) spray bottle, a gallon, a spray gallon, or a 5-gallon (19-liter) pail. To apply the Rust Bullet Metal Blast, follow these steps:
- Spray the product on the rusted metal surface.
- Leave for 20-30 minutes or until the product completely evaporates.
- If the area is heavily rusted, soak the metal for up to three hours.
- If the surface is on a steep incline or vertical, use a towel or cotton cloth dipped in the product, and wrap it around the metal.
- Once the product has evaporated, rinse the metal with warm water or a wet cloth.
6. Liqui-Moly MoS2-Rust Solvent
Rust can be difficult to remove, especially when in narrow spaces and crevices. When it comes to fighting rust in pipes and tight crevices, very few products can match the MoS2 Rust Solvent’s effectiveness, manufactured by Liqui Moly GmbH, a German company specializing in oils and lubricants.
Liqui-Moly MoS2 is an outstanding lubricant that works fast to remove rust, calcium deposits, grease, and dirt. As a lubricant, the spray works to stop moving parts from squeaking, reducing friction and keeping the parts moving smoothly. The spray is popular with car lovers and heavy machinery operators as it penetrates moving parts without attacking plastics, paints, or metals. The spray is available in 300ml (10oz) and 600ml (20oz) aerosol cans. According to the product’s safety data sheet, it’s safe for private households, industrial use, and professional use.
7. Caramba Intensive Rust Remover Spray
When your metal equipment operates in a high heat environment, your rust remover of choice should be the Caramba Intensive Rust Remover Spray. Caramba’s rust remover contains molybdenum sulfite, which enables the rust remover to withstand temperatures above 300 °C (572 °F).
This product loosens rust and protects against corrosion. It also works as a high-performance lubricant and an anti-friction agent. In the motor vehicle sector, the Caramba rust remover is ideal for transmissions, clutches, and bearings. It is the rust remover of choice for many industrial and manufacturing plants.
The product has penetration qualities, allowing it to creep into tight spaces and loosen rust. These creeping qualities make the product effective in restoring rusty screws, bolts, and other heavily stressed components.
To use the Caramba rust remover, follow these steps:
- Start with a vigorous shake of the can.
- Spray a thin coating on the rusted area, then wait for a few seconds.
- You can then either wipe the area or unscrew the rusting screws depending on your needs.
When shopping for the right rust remover spray for your needs, you will have to keep in mind how much rust remover you’ll need, how easy it is to apply the remover, and any hazards associated with using that particular rust remover.
Rust remover sprays are not all formulated the same. Some dissolve the rust, others bind the rust for easy removal, while others change the rust’s chemical composition to an inert compound. Whatever rust removal process you want to use, there is a top-performing rust remover spray you can pick from the above list.